Updated
Updated · CNN · May 23
Shanxi Coal Mine Blast Kills 90, Hospitalizing 123 in China’s Deadliest Mining Disaster in Over 10 Years
Updated
Updated · CNN · May 23

Shanxi Coal Mine Blast Kills 90, Hospitalizing 123 in China’s Deadliest Mining Disaster in Over 10 Years

18 articles · Updated · CNN · May 23
  • Nearly 20 hours after Friday evening’s blast, rescuers were still searching the Liushenyu coal mine in Shanxi after 90 deaths were confirmed, with 201 workers evacuated from roughly 250 underground.
  • Carbon monoxide levels had exceeded limits inside the mine, state media said, while one survivor described smoke, a sulfur smell and miners collapsing before he lost consciousness.
  • Xi Jinping ordered an all-out rescue, a thorough investigation and accountability, and state media said the person in charge of the operating company had been placed under legal control measures.
  • The explosion is China’s deadliest mining accident in more than a decade, underscoring persistent safety risks despite tighter rules introduced after a 53-worker mine collapse in Inner Mongolia in 2023.
  • Coal still supplies more than half of China’s energy use, and Shanxi alone produces over a quarter of the country’s coal, keeping pressure high on a sector central to energy security.
If modern safety tech exists, why did a preventable gas explosion kill 82 miners in Shanxi?
China's new energy plan needs coal. Does this mean more fatal mining disasters are simply inevitable?