Chicago Council Freezes Tipped Pay at 76% for Up to 4 Years, Pressuring Johnson
Updated
Updated · Chicago Sun-Times · May 20
Chicago Council Freezes Tipped Pay at 76% for Up to 4 Years, Pressuring Johnson
9 articles · Updated · Chicago Sun-Times · May 20
Chicago’s City Council approved a compromise that keeps tipped workers at 76% of the city minimum wage for two years at large restaurants and four years at establishments with 21 or fewer employees.
The deal was pitched as relief for restaurants squeezed by food, labor and operating costs and by weaker customer spending tied to inflation, while still allowing capped annual raises as the minimum wage resets each July 1.
Mayor Brandon Johnson, who previously vetoed a broader rollback, signaled he is likely to accept this version after it passed with only one dissenting vote, leaving little chance a fourth veto would survive.
Jason Ervin cast the lone no vote, calling the freeze an economic betrayal, while restaurant owners and the Illinois Restaurant Association said the slower phase-in gives operators time to avoid cuts, closures or suburban moves.
One Fair Wage also accepted the compromise, but said the multiyear freeze must end the fight and preserve Chicago’s eventual path to a full minimum wage for tipped workers.
Chicago froze tipped wages to save restaurants. Are workers now paying the price for the industry's survival?
Chicago plans more EV chargers, but can this pilot fix the charging gap in underserved communities?