Updated
Updated · BBC.com · May 21
Three Teen Boys Get 3-Year Orders for 2 Fordingbridge Rapes
Updated
Updated · BBC.com · May 21

Three Teen Boys Get 3-Year Orders for 2 Fordingbridge Rapes

4 articles · Updated · BBC.com · May 21
  • Two 15-year-old boys were given three-year Youth Rehabilitation Orders and a 14-year-old received 18 months’ probation supervision for raping two girls in separate Fordingbridge attacks.
  • Mobile-phone footage shown at Southampton Crown Court captured the assaults being filmed as the boys laughed and encouraged each other, with prosecutors saying videos were later shared on social media.
  • One victim, 15, was raped three times in a River Avon underpass after being lured to what she believed was a first date arranged on Snapchat; she told jurors she felt cornered and feared being thrown into the river.
  • The second girl, 14, was threatened with a knife and raped three times in a nearby field; although no knife was recovered, forensic evidence showed her leggings had been cut with a sharp instrument.
  • Judge Nicholas Rowland told the boys none would go to prison that day and praised both girls for the bravery of giving evidence.
If filmed rapes don't warrant prison for UK teens, what crime does?
When courts prioritize rehabilitating teen offenders, what does justice look like for their victims?