Updated
Updated · Reuters · May 21
Trump Administration Threatens Palestinian UN Visas Over June 2 Assembly Vice Presidency Bid
Updated
Updated · Reuters · May 21

Trump Administration Threatens Palestinian UN Visas Over June 2 Assembly Vice Presidency Bid

14 articles · Updated · Reuters · May 21
  • An internal State Department cable says Washington will hold the Palestinian Authority responsible if Riyad Mansour stays in the race for a U.N. General Assembly vice presidency, raising the prospect of visa revocations for the New York mission.
  • The cable argues Mansour's candidacy could let Palestinians preside over General Assembly sessions during the 81st annual high-level week in September, which it says would fuel tensions and undermine Trump's Gaza peace plan.
  • U.S. diplomats in Jerusalem were told to deliver the warning and reminded that visa sanctions for Palestinian U.N. officials were waived only in September 2025, a step the cable says could be revisited.
  • Mansour had already dropped a bid for the assembly presidency after earlier U.S. lobbying, but the vice presidency remains sensitive because the 16 elected vice presidents can chair sessions.
  • The June 2 election comes as Trump's Gaza initiative remains stalled by Hamas' refusal to disarm and continued Israeli military operations despite an October ceasefire.
Could US visa threats against a UN ambassador permanently alter international diplomacy in New York?
With public opinion shifting, why is the US doubling down on its hardline stance against Palestinian diplomats?
As US pressure on the ICC intensifies, what is the future for international war crimes justice?