Updated
Updated · CBC Sports · May 19
Oceanwide Says 11-Case Hantavirus Outbreak Began Before Boarding, Not on MV Hondius
Updated
Updated · CBC Sports · May 19

Oceanwide Says 11-Case Hantavirus Outbreak Began Before Boarding, Not on MV Hondius

7 articles · Updated · CBC Sports · May 19
  • Oceanwide Expeditions CEO Rémi Bouysset said current medical and epidemiological evidence strongly suggests the hantavirus cluster was introduced before passengers boarded the MV Hondius, not generated by shipboard conditions.
  • WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said 11 cases linked to the ship have been reported, including three deaths, and said the global risk from hantavirus remains low.
  • MV Hondius docked in Rotterdam on Monday after passengers had already disembarked in Tenerife earlier this month; Oceanwide said no one still aboard was showing symptoms.
  • The crew that disembarked will remain in quarantine until June 29, while the ship undergoes full cleaning, sanitization, added protocols and a complete crew change before returning to service.
Is the cruise industry ignoring another 'warning shot' about its readiness for deadly disease outbreaks at sea?
After a 21-day reporting delay, did health officials underestimate the deadly hantavirus outbreak aboard the cruise ship?