Updated
Updated · Reuters · May 20
Maldives Recovers Last 2 Italian Divers, Ending Search After 5 Died in Cave Accident
Updated
Updated · Reuters · May 20

Maldives Recovers Last 2 Italian Divers, Ending Search After 5 Died in Cave Accident

8 articles · Updated · Reuters · May 20
  • The final two bodies of the five Italian divers killed in the Maldives' deadliest diving accident were recovered Wednesday, completing a days-long search at the Devana Kandu site.
  • Authorities said the group had entered a deepwater cave last week under permit to research soft corals and are investigating several possible causes, including whether they descended much deeper than planned.
  • Preliminary identification has confirmed the victims were Italian; officials said DNA checks will continue through Interpol and all bodies will be repatriated to Italy.
  • The group was led by University of Genoa professor Monica Montefalcone and included her daughter; a specialist team from Finland helped recover two bodies on Tuesday after the instructor was found Friday.
  • The toll also included a Maldives National Defence Force diver, who died of decompression illness during Saturday's recovery effort, underscoring the risks of the operation.
A professor and daughter died diving. Was it a research mission gone wrong, or a reckless private trip with fatal consequences?
Why did expert divers use recreational gear for a fatal technical dive, and what are the twenty other survivors hiding?