Updated
Updated · WION · May 19
Rubio Faults WHO Over 131-Death Congo Ebola Outbreak as US Plans 50 Clinics
Updated
Updated · WION · May 19

Rubio Faults WHO Over 131-Death Congo Ebola Outbreak as US Plans 50 Clinics

10 articles · Updated · WION · May 19
  • Rubio said the WHO was "a little late" in identifying the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo, where the virus has killed an estimated 131 people.
  • WHO warned Tuesday about the outbreak's "scale and speed," while Rubio said the US response would rely on the CDC and WHO despite his criticism of the UN agency.
  • About 50 treatment clinics are being planned in Congo, but Rubio said aid operations are hampered by the outbreak's rural location in a war-torn area.
  • The US has committed roughly $13 million to fight the outbreak, even after broad cuts to American foreign aid last year.
  • The dispute comes as Washington's ties with WHO remain strained after Trump moved to withdraw the US from the agency and kept attacking its Covid-era handling.
With its own health agencies facing cuts, can foreign aid alone protect a nation from the next global pandemic?
Travel bans are imposed, but experts say they hurt the response. Which strategy will actually contain this Ebola outbreak faster?