Kennedy Addresses Ebola, Hantavirus Response as 18 Cruise Passengers Remain Under Observation
Updated
Updated · abcnews.com · May 19
Kennedy Addresses Ebola, Hantavirus Response as 18 Cruise Passengers Remain Under Observation
4 articles · Updated · abcnews.com · May 19
Robert F. Kennedy Jr. said HHS is "working on" the recent Ebola and Hantavirus outbreaks, his first public comment since the CDC confirmed an American contracted Ebola in the DRC.
A small number of Americans are directly affected by the Ebola outbreak in Congo, according to the CDC, though White House officials said there are no Ebola cases in the United States.
On hantavirus, Kennedy said last week the outbreak was "under control" and that the CDC had been engaged from day one.
The CDC said no U.S. hantavirus cases have been linked to the MV Hondius cruise ship, but 18 passengers are still under observation at the University of Nebraska.
Kennedy's remarks came during a broader public push on health policy that also included nearly $1 billion in new PFAS drinking-water funding for states.
After cancelling key vaccine research, how will the U.S. defend against new Ebola and hantavirus strains?
A rare hantavirus can spread between people. Are U.S. quarantine protocols prepared for this unprecedented threat?
How will the U.S. detect the next pandemic threat after cutting ties with the World Health Organization?