Díaz-Canel Denies Cuba Threat to U.S. After Report of 300 Military Drones
Updated
Updated · CBS New York · May 18
Díaz-Canel Denies Cuba Threat to U.S. After Report of 300 Military Drones
8 articles · Updated · CBS New York · May 18
Miguel Díaz-Canel said Cuba poses “no threat” to the United States and has no aggressive plans, responding after Axios reported the island had discussed strikes on Guantanamo Bay and possibly Key West.
Roughly 300 military drones were allegedly acquired and dispersed across Cuba, according to Axios; CBS said it had not independently confirmed the report, while Havana did not directly deny having drones.
Díaz-Canel instead framed the issue as self-defense, saying U.S. threats of military aggression are well known and warning any attack would cause a “bloodbath” and destabilize the region.
The exchange comes as the Trump administration has weighed military intervention and tightened sanctions on Cuba after operations in Venezuela, with Trump saying in March he could “take” Cuba and CIA Director John Ratcliffe last week demanding “fundamental changes.”
Facing a US blockade, will Havana concede to American demands or risk a military showdown?
Is the US using the drone threat as a pretext for intervention, echoing the Spanish-American War?
With Iranian and Russian support, could Cuba's drone arsenal spark a new conflict 90 miles from the US?