Van Hollen Says Netanyahu Drew Trump Into Iran War, Citing 40-Year Push
Updated
Updated · Fox News · May 17
Van Hollen Says Netanyahu Drew Trump Into Iran War, Citing 40-Year Push
2 articles · Updated · Fox News · May 17
Chris Van Hollen said on NBC's "Meet the Press" that Benjamin Netanyahu pulled Donald Trump into the Iran war, arguing Trump abandoned his pledge to avoid new conflicts.
Trump could end the fighting without China's help, the Maryland Democrat said, urging the president to "stop digging a hole even deeper" after returning from a China summit without a concrete mediation commitment.
Van Hollen said the war is also driving up gasoline and other prices, undercutting Trump's campaign promise to lower costs at home.
The senator pointed to the 2015 JCPOA as proof diplomacy can curb Iran's nuclear program, while noting Trump's team had previously said Iran's facilities were "obliterated."
Netanyahu said a week earlier that Iran's nuclear material still must be removed for the war to end, while the White House continues to frame the campaign as stopping an imminent nuclear threat.
With U.S. intelligence and the White House clashing, what is the real truth about Iran's nuclear threat?
Is the current war preventing a nuclear Iran, or is it creating a more determined one for the future?
As the military plan to secure the Strait of Hormuz failed, how will the growing global energy crisis be solved?