Georgia Fort Says Federal Case Silences Reporting 4 Months After Arrest
Updated
Updated · The Washington Post · May 17
Georgia Fort Says Federal Case Silences Reporting 4 Months After Arrest
4 articles · Updated · The Washington Post · May 17
Georgia Fort says the federal case against her is still blocking her reporting months after her Jan. 30 arrest, because lawyers have warned that speaking with co-defendants could jeopardize her defense.
Dozens arrested at the St. Paul church protest include Minnesota community leaders Fort would normally interview, leaving key sources off limits as she covers issues such as the Target boycott and local politics.
Federal prosecutors accuse Fort and former CNN anchor Don Lemon of violating laws protecting places of worship by allegedly disrupting a religious service; the indictment includes conspiracy and interference with religious freedom counts.
The case had already hit setbacks before prosecutors won a grand-jury indictment, and press-freedom groups say the arrest and continuing restrictions have a chilling effect on Fort's work and on public access to her reporting.
Fort, founder of BLCK Press and a 2025 Bush Foundation fellow with a $150,000 award, framed the fight more broadly at Howard University this month as a test of journalism's role in defending democracy.
Why is a law protecting clinics now being used to charge reporters covering protests at a church?
If an Emmy-winning journalist can be silenced, what happens to the stories that are never told?
When does a journalist’s camera turn from a tool of the press into evidence of a federal crime?
Federal Charges Against Don Lemon and Georgia Fort: The 2026 St. Paul Church Protest and the Chilling Effect on Press Freedom
Overview
In January 2026, Don Lemon and three others were arrested on federal charges after covering a protest at a church in St. Paul, Minnesota. Following their release after initial court hearings, Lemon spoke out confidently, declaring he would not be silenced and stressing the importance of a free and independent media. His public statements highlighted his determination to continue reporting despite legal challenges. This case has sparked national debate about press freedom, with many viewing the charges as a threat to journalism and a test of First Amendment protections in the United States.