Updated
Updated · Evanston Now · May 23
Guzman y Gomez Workers Protest 9 Chicago Closures as Chain Cites Long U.S. Path to 2037
Updated
Updated · Evanston Now · May 23

Guzman y Gomez Workers Protest 9 Chicago Closures as Chain Cites Long U.S. Path to 2037

7 articles · Updated · Evanston Now · May 23
  • About a dozen former employees protested Saturday outside the shuttered Evanston Guzman y Gomez, saying the chain closed all nine Chicago-area restaurants with no official notice.
  • Steven Marks said Friday the Australia-based company concluded it would need significantly more time and capital to succeed in the U.S., after opening the Evanston site in March 2025.
  • Workers said they learned of the shutdown from a leaked corporate email Thursday night, received no formal severance, and will be paid only through May 31.
  • Illinois' WARN Act requires 60 days' notice for certain closures or mass layoffs, and some employees said they are considering legal action or a state complaint.
  • The retreat halts what had been pitched as the start of a major U.S. expansion for the chain, which operates more than 200 restaurants globally.
Why did a popular global brand fail so quickly in the competitive American fast-food market?
Fired via a leaked email, can former staff successfully sue an Australian company for violating U.S. labor laws?
As its stock soared after a US exit, was GyG’s failure a brilliant retreat or a costly mistake?